I only have time for a brief update today. Yesterday was club meeting day and a very resourceful member taught us how to make cacti and the planters for them.
I don't have time to go into detail today, but here's a picture of my finished product. I don't know if I will be 'selling' cacti in my flower shop, but I'll keep them here for the time being. The cacti are probably a bit out of scale (although I know there are huge cacti!), and therefore I might prefer to use them with my Adobe house that is still half finished.
It was a fun workshop though and I have enough material for more cacti, so perhaps I will be showing some more later today or tomorrow.
I just remembered that when I started with miniatures, now some 12 years ago, I had made cacti for my conservatory. I didn't have tutorials at the time and very little help. I just looked at pictures and tried to copy mother nature. The picture is probably too clear, but from a distance those three cacti look quite realistic. I used very finely rolled cotton wool for the dots on the cactus in the centre, pulled out cotton wool for the one on the left and little snippets of an old toothbrush for the needles on the right one. They were far from perfect, but I was, and still am as a matter of fact, happy with the result. Bye the way, they were made out of Fimo, and I can't even remember anymore what the containers were made of. ;-)
This is all I have time for right now. See you next time.